Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tips to Setting Up a Tree

OK, I am not an expert I know, but I must say, I have set up some nice trees. So I have been told! Ahem!

So I am going to share a tip or two with you about how to set up good Christmas trees.

First of all, decide the size of the tree! It is worth spending more on one that will last. It should obviously go with the size of your room. When I first bought a tree, it was only 2feet high as I was renting a one bedroomed flat!

My present one however, is a six-footer bushy thing which I got as payment in kind for a decorative job I did one Christmas for a hotel. That was a good 15 years ago and it is still going strong!

In fact, folks, I have in total, five huge boxes of decorations which I have accumulated since my first Arrow was born 20 years ago! So that's tip number 2 - take care of your decorations and they will last. By the way, every year I set aside a budget to go Christmas decoration shopping!

Let's move on to decorating the tree then.

Have you decided where to place the tree? Does the base need covering? Do you have pretend presents to place underneath? I like to put my tree eventually on a small table, so I will decorate the tree on the floor and then gently ease it up, often enlisting help to do so. Before I decorate, I will have decided which side faces the wall and work accordingly.

The lights should be the first things to go on. But let's talk about the lights themselves first. Do you get the multicoloured ones? I find that once I do that, my colour scheme is limited. I tend to get plain where possible. White goes with many colour schemes. Sometimes I mix whites and colours. Whatever you choose, be wise and get some decent ones.

Back to putting on the lights then. I prefer to place the lights with them turned on. This way, I can see where they fit in. Dont put them too far out. Each tree of a different height should have lights of a certain number. For instance, a 6-footer like mine takes a 200 light bulb set very comfortably - one ring for each row of branches and it will finish at the top comfortably. Oh yes, you should start from the bottom where possible. I also prefer to get two sets and wind them round in opposite directions. By setting the lights slightly back into the tree, you get the effect of stars being hidden amongst the leaves. My personal preference are lights which have combination effects.

Then if you plan to use big ribbons or tinsel, this is the time to put them on. I try to intersperse the lights with the ribbons/tinsel so that the tree looks more fully decorated. Dont let these ribbons/tinsel hide the lights too much. A little here and there is ok.

Some people try to put the ribbons downwards. I find that it can be messy and crowded at the top of the tree so I prefer the old-fashioned way - go round.

I sometimes add other decorative things like long silver coloured beads and string them in scallops. This is especially nice when you intersperse with other beaded things like snowflakes. Again, depending on the size of the tree, you might need to get more than one set.

Then the little decorations go on. Hang them in the spaces, and at the tips. If you only have a few of the same, spread them out. One thing to remember is to keep taking a few steps backwards to see the effect. I find that simple balls of different shapes, sizes and designs are very effective. They also make other special decorations stand out. Poinsettas and ribbons of different colours add to the merry effect.

The crowning touch should be what you put on the top of the tree. I have to say that I dont like stars very much. They tend to be two-dimensional and I am partial to "angels" instead. It took me YEARS to find the exact one I liked. What a find it was! Adjustable hands, ribbons that spread out behind the wings and add to the sense of majesty, gold and cream coloured.... I must get a decent photo!

Finally, before I place the pretend presents under the tree, I like to cover the base with some cloth. Depending on the colour scheme for the year, I have pieces of cloth which I have scrounged from reject trays of fabric shops. This year, the silver, white and gold theme sees a garishly gold hard cloth which no one wanted.... but looks perfect under this tree!

By the way, tree decorating is doubly fun if you have children to assist you. I would put the lights and tinsel on and then let the children loose with the rest of the decorations. Unless they had specific personal preferences, it didnt take long to adjust whatever they had put up once they went to bed. And even if it did, so what! I remember the joy they had, even now... even though they no longer want to help, they still enjoy the end result!

So, how about sending some photos of your tree to share? Any tips to add on?

1 comment:

janet said...

taking notes of putting up the lights from down up. never thought about that before. thanks!